Christmas is a time of fun, laughter and plenty of fun gatherings with loved ones. However, for our furry friends, especially dogs, an influx of guests during Christmas can sometimes be overwhelming. With a little preparation and the right approach, you can ensure your dog is calm and content amidst the festive hustle and bustle. Here's a guide on how to make sure your dog enjoys the Christmas season as much as we do, using their food and treats from Caboodle.
1. Maintain Their Routine
Dogs thrive on routine, so try to stick to their regular schedule for meals, walks, and playtime as much as possible. Maintaining consistency in their routine will provide a sense of stability amidst the Christmas chaos, helping to reduce anxiety.
2. Use Caboodle to keep your dog happy and occupied
- We all know that a balanced diet of high-quality nutritious food supports overall well-being and keeps tummies happy. Each meal in our Caboodle daily trays contain a minimum of 60% protein and our Sunday menu features Sleepy Snack treats packed with calming ingredients like pumpkin and flaxseeds which are an effective source of tryptophan, encouraging the synthesis of serotonin and melatonin.
- Pacifying chews: Keep your dog occupied with our healthy chews. While you are busy in the kitchen or entertaining your guests, give your dog something healthy to occupy them.
- Keep the treats interesting and varied and steer clear of feeding any scraps from the table (no one wants their dog to have a dodgy tummy at the best of times!). Our mixed treats are also great for rewarding your dog when they are on their best behaviour when that doorbell rings.
- Feeding enrichment toys. We are great fans of lickimats for wet food and puzzles or snuffle mats for dry food. The longer and more mentally stimulating each mealtime is, the better for your dog and you!
3. Create a Safe Haven
Set up a cosy and quiet space for your dog to retreat to when they need a break from the noise and festivities. Fill this area with their favourite toys, blankets, and perhaps a piece of clothing that smells like you, which will help to provide comfort and reassurance. Give them something to chew and keep them occupied while left alone. Try spraying some lavender oil on their bed, pop on a calm playlist to encourage a post lunch snooze.
4. Get outside for some fresh air and don’t forget your tin
Walk off the extra helping of Christmas pudding with your dog and take them on a long walk with your refillable Caboodle Treat tin. Shake the tin for instant recall and say goodbye to gunky pockets with stinky squished treats. Exercise and fresh air is one of the best gifts you can give your dog for Christmas.
By being proactive and prepared for the influx of guests during the Christmas period and using their usual Caboodle food and treats, you can create an environment where your furry companion feels comfortable and relaxed. Remember, patience, consistency, and positive reinforcement are key to ensuring a stress-free and joyful Christmas for both you and your beloved pooch.
Merry Christmas from all of us at Caboodle